Desolation Road Studios is now accepting applications for the 3rd Annual Altamont Art in the Park Juried Arts Festival which will be held on Columbus Day Weekend 10/12/13 with a rain date of 10/13/13. The show will run from 9am thru 6pm with music by Rusticator.
Desolation Road Studios is now accepting applications from all artists 18 years of age and older.
Applications must be postmarked by July 31st 2013. Late applications will be considered on a space available basis.
Open to all artists 18 years of age and older creating original works in any media including: painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, ceramics, fibers, mixed media, woodworking and glass.
The jury fee is $10 and is non refundable. Booth fees are $75.00 per 10 ft sq. Should you want to purchase a larger booth, an additional 10 ft square can be purchased for $50.00. All artists must have a white tent.
• Artists may check in on show day from 7 am until 8:30 am. Your exhibit must be ready when the show begins at 9 am Saturday.
• Exhibit space will be assigned in a park setting. There is no staking on the Village Green so plan for windy conditions with weights. Each artist is responsible for his or her own display, which must be staffed by the artist at all times during the show hours. Volunteers will be available to assist for short periods of time.
• Only original fine art may be exhibited. Commercially manufactured items or items made from commercial kits or molds are unacceptable. Buy sell is not allowed. This will be strictly enforced.
• Desolation Road Studios reserves the right to prohibit the display of any work which it determines at its discretion is without redeeming social value or work that is inconsistent with submitted images.
• Artists must present only their own work in their assigned space.
• All artists will transact their own sales and are responsible for complying with the state and local sales tax regulations.
Online submissions may be made by e-mailing your three images and the completed pdf application form to: email@example.com . Images must be jpeg, tiff or png formats and less than 3 MB.
Applying by mail:
To submit an application by traditional mail include:
- Completed (PDF). You can downoad it here: 2013 Altamont Art in the Park Juried Art Show Application
- Images of art work in digital format saved on CD or DVD. Images must be saved as a JPG and 300dpi or less. Disk should be labeled with name of artist and title of artwork.
- Payment in U.S. dollars (check or cash only). Checks should be made payable to Desolation Road Studios.
and mail application form to:
Desolation Road Studios PO Box 457 Altamont, NY 12009
Applications will not be returned to artist.
If you have questions about the show or the application process, please contact Jim @ Desolation Road Studios at 518-608-4749 or send an e-mail inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Intro to Digital Photography is a beginners level class that focuses on acquainting the student with his/her camera and its many settings as well as using it to its fullest potential. Concepts such as focal length, aperture, depth of field, ,shutter speed, exposure, white balance, ISO, file formats, resolution and hardware will be discussed in an easy to understand format. The student will leave with a reasonable understanding of the concepts necessary to compose a decent picture and should be able to take the information presented and move to the next level. The weekly format of the class will cover a new topic each week with homework to re-enforce the material presented. Styles of photography such as Portraiture, Macro and Landscape will be discussed and critique will also be utilized to help each student with the concepts they are having trouble with. There will be 1-2 field trips weather permitting as well. Class length is 3 hours from 9:00am-12:00 noon(Classes may go longer on field trip days.). Dates for classes are as follows: All dates are Sundays 6/2, 6/9, 6/19 and 6/23. Cost of class is $125.00 per student which includes all four dates. Call Jim at 608-4749 to enroll.
30% Off All Gallery Wraps Currently In Stock!!!!!!!!!!
The entire month of June, take 30% off all in stock gallery wraps by Jim Miller. This sale includes any images on display at the Studios or an off site location such as The Hungerford Market, Key Bank, Design on 20 and Mio Vino. Take advantage of this sale and relieve me of some inventory…Please!!!
What the heck is a gallery wrap? Read more here… http://www.desolationroadstudios.com/blank
There will be two classes available for this intro level class. July 7th and 28th from 10am-1pm. The class will cover basic editing tools and their practical use from a beginners standpoint. Basic cloning, brushes, exposure correction and enhancement, file sizing and raw conversion just for starters. This class would be great for that someone who just got Photoshop or plans to as well as the person that has had it but needs to fill out their bag of tricks perhaps. Students will need a laptop with Photoshop installed on it. Instructor will provide images to work on based on the lesson plan. Class fee will be $75.00 for the three hour class.
Music: Bach’s Sarabande from Suite for Solo Cello No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007 performed by Yo-Yo Ma. Nominated as Most Creative Video 2nd Annual YouTube Awards…
I had to post this because it is so damn cool…
The Studios has a brand new You-Tube Channel. We’ll be posting video from a variety of events in the future including but not limited to camera tips, music video, inside the studio artist interviews and more…stay tuned!!
My friend Lars Turin is quite an interesting fellow. Semi-retired from teaching Art, he still has his hands in the world of creation and if you’ve ever seen his work, you know he makes some superb pieces. Locally known for his Raku and Saggar fired art quality pottery, Lars has produced some spectacular work. The Studios is proud to have even a small representation of his art for sale. Come check out some of his unique pieces, I think you will agree.
David has taken some of the best-loved and most interesting quilt blocks from past centuries and translated them into finely crafted wooden boxes, using beautiful and exotic veneers to reinterpret the designs. Each box is unique; no two are ever just alike. He handcrafts each box from premium cabinet grade Baltic birch plywood, so the inside reveals the delicate grain of the white birch. He cuts the quilt block design, by hand, to showcase the lush variety of natural colors and grains in the veneers, which often include spectacular bird’s eye, burl, curly, dimple, flame, quilted or other figured woods. Lets just say these pieces of art are spectacular!
Are you an artist looking for a venue to showcase and sell your wares? Whether its pottery or paintings, glass or etchings, fiber art or sculpture, or anything art related, Desolation Road Studios is always looking for talented and committed artists seeking a place to get their art “out there”!! Come on by and speak with Jim about getting on board.